Rep. Shimkus 8.19 Meeting One-Stop Shop
Feel free to invite your friends! While this meeting was organized for Ateitininkai, we welcome our Estonian, Latvian, Lithuanian, and other friends who are not Ateitininkai.
Zoom information for the Rep. Shimkus call will ONLY be available to those who either attended the planning meetings or for those who RSVP'd. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Wednesday, 8/19. 8pm-9:15pmEST/7pm-8:15pmCST
All times are Eastern Standard. Most of this will be a conversation, so times are estimated too. NOTE – I’m realizing this may be an ambitious agenda. We may run over time or cut a few things as the meeting goes on.
- Business casual. (no ties needed for the gents)
- Ateitininkai, please wear your Ateitininku juostas if you have them.
8pm – Zoom call begins
- This will be reserved for informal last-minute preparations.
- We can use this time to switch roles if we’d like.
8:30pm – Rep. Shimkus joins call.
8:30pm-8:37pm – Team Ateitininkai
- Marija chats about Ateitininkai, who we are, and provides a sociological perspective. (3 minutes)
- Lile talks about Ziemos Kursai. (How we try to build up our youth. Also, opens an invitation to Rep. Shimkus to give a paskaita) (3 minutes)
- Vytas mentions that Ateitininkai do have a history in engaging in politics/transitions to HBC discussion. (<1 minute)
8:37-8:45pm – Team House Baltic Caucus
- Rima sends a thank you for the years of service. Especially for having Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia join NATO. (<1-2 minutes)
- Present juosta
- Ask if he’s allergic to eggs and if he’d like some sakotis.
- Viktoras presents any information from the Baltic Studies Program on why it’s important to have strong ties between the Baltics and the US. (<1-2 minutes)
- Vidas asks for a show of hands of how many people have dual citizenship and shares a quick reason why people find it important. (<1-2 minutes)
- Vidas shows a list of organizations that have relations between the US & Lietuva/Baltics (if the list exists)
- Pending: It seems like from our group, we know of at least someone who has signed up for each of the 3 Baltic countries’ military forces. This can be woven into this discussion. Maybe we can assign this during the last-minute prep.
- Viktoras asks questions on House Baltic Caucus. (2-4+ minutes)
- What can we do to help the HBC in its mission and ensure it continues to thrive?
- In your opinion, what are the key issues facing the HBC?
- In your mind, what are HBC’s greatest accomplishments?
- What does Rep. Shimkus expect from these Zoom meetings/what does he hope for?
- Kovas asks Rep. Shimkus if he’s heard if the Nord Stream 2 bill (H.R. 7361) has a chance of moving or if he’s heard other buzz about the bill. (<1-5 minutes, depending on any info he has)
- Note – we know that Sen. Cruz and Sen. Shaheen have introduced a companion. (A companion is the exact same bill, except it starts in the opposite chamber)
- Asks Rep. Shimkus to cosponsor the bill.
8:50-9:00pm Time-permitting questions
- Marija explains Misija Sibiras and explains the politics around it. Feel free to ask what Rep. Shimkus thinks Congress can do. (5 minutes)
- Erik asks about Belarus and troop withdrawal (5 minutes?)
- Vytas asks for a picture and thanks Rep. Shimkus for his time.
9:00pm Everyone signs off
9:01-9:10pm (or after Rep. Shimkus signs off)
We get back on and do a quick recap of how we think it went.